Application: Suicide-Related Research in Clinical Forensic Settings
Forensic psychology professionals working in clinical forensic settings such as state hospitals or prisons often are tasked with assessing whether a patient may be at significant risk for committing suicide. If a person is assessed to be suicidal, then involuntary hospitalization of the patient likely will follow. However, in the United States where the right to life and liberty are protected by the Constitution, to deprive a person of his or her liberty requires extraordinary circumstances. State statutes vary in their language regarding involuntary psychiatric hospitalization, but the underlying threshold common to all such statutes is when someone is eminently dangerous to self or others. One type of research of use to forensic psychology professionals working in clinical settings is that which studies the potential risk for suicide.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Using the Walden Library, conduct a search for an article that addresses suicide risk, evaluation of suicide potential, and/or involuntary hospitalization of forensic populations. Select one such article for use in this Discussion.
- Carefully review the article paying close attention to the subjects being studied, the assessment instruments used, the method of study, and the results/recommendations.
- Consider how the data contained in and the results of this research study might be used by forensic psychology professionals in clinical forensic settings.
The assignment (1–2 pages):
- Briefly summarize the research study you selected. Be sure to include the data and results of the study that you think are applicable to clinical forensic settings.
- Explain how a forensic psychology professional might apply the information in this research study to a clinical forensic setting, and in what circumstances, including but not limited to situations in which a forensic psychology professional must conduct an evaluation of a patient for his or her potential suicide risk and/or potential involuntary hospitalization. Be specific.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.